Yudhoyono disappointed on response to Gaza crisis
PRESIDENT Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono expressed his disappointment Saturday, Januari 17, 2009 over the tardiness of United Nations Security Council (UNSC) response on the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip and Israel’s disregard for a UNSC resolution.
Yudhoyono said the international community could not continue to tolerate the ongoing Israeli attacks on the Gaza strip which had already taken the lives of more than one thousand Palestinians.
“A human tragedy is currently taking place, a tragedy the world cannot ignore,” he said, adding that it was why Indonesia had urged the UN General Assembly (UNGA) to hold an emergency meeting Thursday.
If Israel continues to ignore the UNSC resolution, the world will hear the voice of the international community through a resolution of the UNGA emergency session, the President said.
The President reaffirmed Indonesia’s commitment to helping the Palestinians, adding Indonesia had already sent medicine, food, medical assistance and US$1 million in cash aid to Palestine.
“I communicated with the Palestinian authority about what they needed most. They said they did not need more tanks or bombs. They needed food and medicine,” Yudhoyonoo said.
The President said if a cease-fire was declared in Gaza, Indonesia was ready to join a peacekeeping force in the region. Meanwhile, the UNGA was reported to have convened an emergency session, issuing a resolution calling for an immediate and lasting ease-fire in Gaza and the withdrawal of Israeli troops from the area. (thejakartapost.com)